Thursday 24 July 2008

A new market for Speke

Sometimes things take a long time! Some years ago I went to speak at the City Council's planning committee about the plans for the new Speke District Centre - including the new Morrison's store. Most of what I had to say was very positive, but I do remember pointing out the lack of any obvious place for Speke market. At the time we had fought very hard to stop the market being closed down entirely, but it was clear that it would have to move as part of all the changes in the area. The committee agreed that there wasn't a place for the market on the plans but there needed to be one. The developers then committed to creating a space. In fact at later meetings I saw the plans with the space marked out.

Well the shops opened. The old shops closed. And still there seemed no sight of the new place for the market.

I was beginning to think that I was going to have to dig out all my old correspondence and start pushing it all over again.

But good news. It may have taken a while but it is here. Here is the story from today's Echo.

No comments: