Thursday 19 June 2008

South Liverpool District Committee

Last night saw the first meeting of the District Committee covering our area. It's made up of councillors, officers and representatives of partners from Speke/Garston, Belle Vale, Cressington, Allerton and Hunts Cross, Woolton and Mossley Hill.

Last night was really a "setting up" meeting. We have four working groups set up to make progress on different themes that have been identified as important. Most of the actual "work" will be done in those.

I am going to Chair the group looking at safer, stronger communities.
Flo Clucas is chairing economic development and enterprise. Richard Oglethorpe will chair the group looking at issues around children and young people.

We nominated a Labour Councillor to chair the group on health and older people. She wasn't actually at the committee last night so I hope that this surprise will actually be a welcome one!

The district committee is part of the arrangements that replace the old neighbourhood committees. I wasn't on the City Council when this decision was taken and I have to admit I have some reservations about the changes. But then one of the tasks I have set myself as exec member is to organise a review of all of this after the system has been running for a while.

No comments: